Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Beginnings



I love this picture. It's the only one I've really taken since we arrived almost 2 weeks ago here in Kuwait City, Kuwait. I'm still having a hard time accepting the fact that we are living in the Middle East, bordering Iraq. It almost feels like a dream that we are stationed overseas again.

When I am in our new home, which I'll post more about later, I tend to forget about the world that is going on outside around me. The fact that it is Ramadan and all the restaurants are closed until they break the fast around 6:30pm; that it's illegal to even be seen drinking water in public for an entire month; that 120 degrees feels cooler here than 103 because of the humidity with the lower temperatures; that the Muslim women walk around covered from head to toe - some dressed western with only a scarf around their head, and some covered in gloves and faces covered with only their eyes showing; that there are remains everywhere from the war that was fought just a few years ago. Yep. It's a whole new world to our family of 5.

So, here's to our adventures in Kuwait. I suspect it will have some things in common with my European blog and some things will be quite different. One thing will be certain though, it's another huge adventure for our family and I hope you will follow along.

9 comments:

The Traxsons said...

It will definitely be an adventure! I don't know that I could handle it, but I know that if anyone can, you all can :) I'm so happy that i'll be able to follow your adventures through the blog! Maybe you'll inspire me to write in mine again :)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you and that all is going well. You and your family are always in our prayers.

Matt and Jolee said...

Hmmm... I'm getting several emails telling me they tried to leave a comment, but couldn't. I see you two were able to though. I wonder what the trick was. A lot of the blogging stuff has changed and I'm trying to figure it out myself. Maybe because you two have a profile with them? Hmm.. not sure.

Anonymous said...

I had to log into my google account that I set up with you while you were in Germany to leave a comment.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got your blog going again..love the picture. It's perfect. Jill

Nicole L Tubman said...

Jolee, I think I was finally able to figure out how to leave a post. I signed into my account that I used when you were in Germany and they came to your blog site. I think I will now be able to leave a post.

Jason & Stacy said...

Yea I am so excited you are back to posting about your families adventures.

Karen Willems said...

This picture is amazing! How surreal this all must be!

Wendy said...

That's an amazing picture! I love it! I'm finding your blog sooooo interesting so far! Thanks for sharing your experiences!!