Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baa....Baa....

I will forever have a new image in my head when I see or hear a lamb. Thankfully, I was given a heads up by some neighbors that today is the day the Arabic community sacrifice sheep in honor of their loved ones who have passed away. I was informed that it happens early in the morning and I might want to keep the children indoors.

Well. Apparently it happens throughout the day! My mother in law is here visiting and wanted to go over to the gym this morning. I walked her across the courtyard with my oldest son and on the way we saw a little more than we bargained for. Blood, heads, and other body parts were scattered in one area of the courtyard. We could tell the men were very uncomfortable with our being there so we quickly got inside the gym. I left Norma and Landen and went back to my house thinking that would be the end of that. Later, I went back to check on them and found them trying to get out of the gym via a different exit. While exercising, they had witnessed a new, live sheep about to meet his demise. This was about 11:30pm. I quickly gathered the kids inside as I really didn't want them to witness it. There were several other children running around and I made a few quick phone calls to parents.

I really thought we had fooled them until a little girl who is 6 came and knocked on our door. Jordyn answered and I heard her tell Jordyn, "there's a dead sheep outside!" Yikes. My stomach has been turned the rest of the day and so has Norma's. I don't have any pictures of it, but I really don't think it's something you would want to see.

Norma did, however capture this one yesterday. Little did they know what was going to happen to them today. Chalk this one up to more "memories."


2 comments:

Brandy said...

Ugh... what a totally different world it is over there huh? I guess you are realizing it more now than ever. So sad you guys had to see this!

The Traxsons said...

Wow. That's all I can say.