Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve in the Middle East

I'm going to try and catch up with a few post this week since I am off work all next week as well. We have had a great week and I feel like I've actually had some good quality time with my kids. I've learned two things this week. #1 - I have confirmed that I need to remain working while we are living here to occupy my mind all day. #2 - Jordyn needs to attend some sort of school next year. This isn't what my post is going to be about, I just thought I would share that with you.

Let's see. We made Christmas cookies yesterday, as we do each and every year. They turned out a little crunchy this year, but of course they will still be eaten. Pops, I always think of you when we make them because I know how much you love to help us eat them!

I let the kids open up one present from Grammy and Pawpaw this morning and they were super excited to play with their new gifts. We try to spread them out over Christmas Eve morning/evening and Christmas Day since we don't have any houses to jump around to.





Our Muslim neighbors who live upstairs from us just brought over this sweet home made cake. I had planned on buying one at Mr. Baker today and sending up to them as a thank you for letting their driver take Landen to and from baseball practice a lot of days with their own son. It helps me tremendously! Now, of course, it will just look like we decided to get them one because they gave us something so I guess I'm going to have to come up with a new plan and wait on that. Why didn't I go this morning! Oh well. Of course, I still would have looked bad because theirs is home made, lol! I wish I would have thought to take their picture with it and us, but I wasn't expecting them to be at the door. The mother is VERY friendly, and from Jordan. She wears a head scarf with western clothes most days and occasionally you will see her covered up in black. The dad is from Boston and also Muslim. He grew up in Kuwait. It such an interesting world out there. The youngest daughter just loves Jordyn and she is extremely sweet. They also have two boys, each a little older than my boys, who love baseball so that seems to work out well for them.


We were gonna Skype with Derek and Shannon yesterday, but we learned that Skype is out world wide. What a bummer! Had to cancel our plans with mom and dad to Skype as well. We did download an Aim account that allowed us to do the same thing though. It wasn't quite as clear and we had a hard time hearing, but we at least got to visit a little. Jill, when Skype is fixed, we need to get it set up on your computer so that the kids can talk to each other. They would love that! After they talked, Nicholas and Hayden plotted to play Club Penguin together online. They decided which chat room to join so that they could play together. Technology is amazing and these are 7 year olds!

Tonight, I am cooking that huge 21lb turkey that has been sitting in my freezer. I hope it turns out ok. The dressing smells great and we are having all the usual holiday sides since I didn't cook at Thanksgiving. I'm guessing we will have some left overs. Afterwards, we are going to go to the Light House church tonight for a candle light service at 9:00 pm. The kids have their sleeping bags out and ready to all sleep in the same room tonight. It brings back lots of memories of me sleeping with my sister on Christmas Eve. Oh, to be a kid again!

One last picture. It still seriously stinks in certain parts of the city. Yesterday, it was BAD!


We are headed to the camel races on Christmas day. Yep. The camel races. Should make for a fun Christmas! Merry Christmas Eve!

2 comments:

Gay said...

So good to hear the latest in your part of the world, Jolee. And what a world that is. It never ceases to amaze me. None of you will ever be the same after this jaunt of the military...and will be all the more wise from it all. Definitely children too, of course. I love to travel, so all you have to say and show us is just remarkable to me. Merry Christmas to you sweet 5 Rowlands.

Anonymous said...

This post really brought tears to Nana's eyes. What memories you are making, unusual though they may be. What precious traditions you are passing down to my delightful grandchildren. Pop and I love you all and miss you dreadfully.