50 year anniversary of Kuwait's Independence
20 year anniversary of Kuwait's Liberation
5 year anniversary of Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah's Rule


February is a big month in Kuwait. There are lights going up everywhere, decorations, events, and things we don't even know. The Amir has declared some more holidays (so far I get the 17th and 27th of Feb. off work - woo hoo!!) You never know, the few days before we may find out we get even more. The big weekend of celebration is February 24 - 26. The Amir has also granted Kuwait citizens 1000 KD to be distributed to each. Too bad we aren't considered Kuwaiti! That's over $3500 each. With a family of 5, we could really be bringing in the dinar. The Kuwaiti citizens are also allowed a food ration for the next 13 months. 13 Months of free groceries!! I guess we will miss out on that, but believe me when I say I would prefer to miss out and still have the choice of living in America.

Hopefully I will get some new pictures this month. We have been stuck in a cycle of work and baseball. I hear the week of all the festivities that it is best to stay home. They say the celebrations are wild and you are much better off avoiding them. I would LOVE, love, love to see some of the events. However, Matt will be working a lot that weekend and I will be at the baseball field for the Liberation Day Tournament. I'm sure we'll still manage to see a few things whether we go looking for them or not. Stay tuned!
3 comments:
I sure hope you guys can see some of the celebrations. More once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
What? I want $3500 and free groceries for a month. It's amazing how much wealth they have. I'm sure that's just a drop in the bucket for them.
Thanks for for the history of Kuwait. Your comments over the last months have really helped bring the country and culture alive for us readers! It is hard to comprehend that a country can afford to do that for its population.
Post a Comment