Thursday, April 14, 2011

Our First Journey in the Middle East

This is it, in a nutshell:

Where?  Qatar
Length of trip:  2 nights
Tiring?  yes
Fun? Absolutely
Hotel?  Ramada Inn Doha (crazy nice with many restaurants inside)
View from room?  Chili's, Arby's, Starbucks and Dairy Queen
Expensive?  uh huh.  They do not use coins and a hamburger cost 27 Riyals.  It made for some fun currency conversions.
Flight?  Kuwait Airways - 1 hour (included meal)
Visa price to enter Qatar?? equivalent of $28/ each x 5
Weather?  95+ and humid (we hear Dubai will be  hotter!)
Driving?  Much more civil than here in Kuwait - they actually obeyed the signs.
Culture?  We definitely blended in much more there.  The western population was much bigger than here in Kuwait.
Games won?  2 (Qatar 1 and Qatar 2)
Games lost?  1 (Saudi Arabia - but we killed ourselves with errors) We had our team split into two teams though and they only had one.
Position Landen played?  pitcher/catcher/short stop
Picture in Arab Times?  Yep - all 5 of us
http://arabtimesonline.com/Portals/0/PDF_Files/pdf11/apr/13/51.pdf
Next trip?  Wednesday - to Dubai

Kumari back?  yep
Daughter's status?  is home and doing well
Laundry done?  yep
House cleaned?  yep
Did I miss her?  yep

Tired of Dust Storms?  Confirmed YES as I turned on my AC in the car today  on the way home from work and dirt was blown straight into my eyeballs.  :-)

Still miss mexican food and Target?  Yep! I had a lengthy conversation about it today with a fellow American at work and tried to explain the joy of Target to my British co-worker.  Sigh.

Military tours being cut short from the Embassy and sent back to the US?  Yep.
Could I be so lucky it would include Matt's job?  Of course, not!  That's crazy talk.

Kids bored from Spring Break?  Yep, but it's been good for them to rest up and for us all not to deal with homework and backpacks this week.

Good week at work?  Yes.  Crazy busy with Spring Concerts, Graduations, Spirit Week, training in another office, and more...

Tired of me answering silly questions?  K.  I'll show you some pictures instead....
















5 comments:

Glen said...

I would never have dreamed you guys would ever be on this wild ride in the Middle East, especially in this day and age. Good for all of you. What a change from Germany!

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

i love your post! i bet you dream of sand/dirt in your teeth! ewwwww

glad kumari is back too!

Jason & Stacy said...

AWESOME Experience for all of ya'll. Target is waiting for you though. lol

Sisters said...

I love this post!!! Jordyn looks so big in the pictures. I know you miss Target but I'm so glad you are able to enjoy your time there.

Anonymous said...

Great report!! I always love the information that you share. Good luck and I hope that you have a winning trip.