Tuesday, October 19, 2010

10 Random Thoughts

10. We hear music from the Mosques 5 times a day. It breaks into ALL the radio stations in the middle of listening to Nickelback or Britney Spears.

9. I just had the doorbell ring and opened it to a man who only spoke Arabic. Our maid speaks Arabic, so she translated for us. He wanted to check the water, so we let him in only to find out he was selling water and wanting to do one of those demonstrations for us. Our maid told him to "go away." :-) He patted Jordyn's cheeks as he left.

8. It's illegal to drive through a yellow light here. My friend went on a website and found out she had 5 tickets and her husband had one. They owed 190 KD which equates to $700.

7. I miss my family.

6. I had to pay money to work here. 100 KD. No joke. The turn over rate is extremely high at the school I am working for so I guess that's one way they recoup some money.

5. Parking lines and lane markers are simply a "suggestion." If you try really hard (THEY DO) you can fit 5 lanes of traffic into 2, as well as make a left hand turn from the far right lane.

4. We do not spend US Dollars here and only have one ATM that dispenses them.

3. We now have appreciation for air than you cannot smell or see.

2. I never dreamed I would listen to SpongeBob SquarePants in German and Arabic.

1. If you want to lose 10 lbs without trying, move overseas.



5 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds similar to the way the Russians drive. Scary!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are young because at my age I would never be able to cope as well as you do. In fact, I wouldn't have been able to cope as well as you do when I was your age! The traffic and language barriers would have had me in shock! Have the boys picked up some of the Arabic? At their age, they probably have some German and Arabic added to their vocabulary. Norma will have such a great experience when she comes. Kuwait has such a rich culture and there will be so many things to do and see while she is there.

Matt and Jolee said...

My 6th grader takes Arabic at school. He knows more than I do, but not much, lol. I know nothing. German - we could figure out a lot of the words and picked up some. Arabic, I can't even read the letters so it's doubtful I learn any without a class. Thankfully, Kumari can speak it quite well. She just can't read it.

The Traxsons said...

hey, see there is at least 1 upside to living there :) (#1)

Nicole L Tubman said...

If I can loose 10 lbs I'll come visit you.