A maid? Yep. A maid. Not a part time maid. A full time, live in maid. I'm not kidding. She lives with us. It's strange to think about. It was hard for me to even comprehend the thought of it. At first, I said no way. I don't want somebody living with us. However, after I arrived and found out everybody I met (for the most part) had them living with them, I entertained the thought. Then, the job fell in my lap. We had to have something for the kids when they arrive home from school. The thought of having my laundry done was nice. She cleans. She is good with the kids. I'm not going to lie, it's been an adjustment having someone at my house 24 hours a day, but it is not as stressful as I had originally dreamed. Things are not perfect and exactly the way I want them, but it is better than doing it all myself. Stressful, you ask? Just think about it. A stranger, from another country, in your house. Yes, it was stressful to me.
I know. I look like an absolute GIANT next to her.
Kumari is her name and she is from Sri Lanka. She is 39 years old. She is good hearted, kind, and very respectful of our privacy. When she finishes her work, she goes into her room which is off of the kitchen. It is tiny... like about the size of a very small office. She is happy and beaming most of the time with a big smile. She allows me to be able to work and spend my weekends and evenings with the kids. They work for very little money. We pay her on the upper side and it is about $400/month. That's cheap when you think about everything she does. We buy her groceries and toiletries and provide a place for her to stay.
Why would a Sri Lankan woman come to Kuwait, you ask? She has 2 daughters who are ages 14 and 16. They are very beautiful from the pictures I have seen. Kumari's husband died of cancer when her youngest was 3 years old. He was a business man and she had money. When he died, she had nothing. The only way she knows to provide for her girls and get them an education is to leave them with her sister in Sri Lanka, and come here to work. She misses them terribly. It's really just sad to me. I can't imagine having to leave my children. She will stay here for 2 years before she gets to see them again. It breaks my heart.
I have written the girls both a letter and I hope to send them things through out the year. It must be hard on both sides. Keep Kumari, Iresha and Ishara in your prayers. Right now we are very thankful for her.
4 comments:
Great entry!! I'm so glad to "meet" Kamari. I will be excited to do that in person next month. I'm also happy that she is good with my grandchildren.
She sounds kind and considerate and that she will be great with the kids.
What a neat story. Sometimes we think our life is hard and then someone like Kamari comes along, and our problems don't seem so bad. Donna J.
Wow! I can't imagine having a live-in maid (or a maid in general, I guess) but you're lucky you found someone you can trust. I'm thinking with Chili's, malls and live-in maids maybe I COULD make it in Kuwait! Or maybe not..... :)
Post a Comment