I am not all that faithful to blogging anymore, but I happened to click on Kelly's Korner - which is a blog I used to read daily, and noticed she was looking for some International Flair. So, I decided to link to her page and say hello!
We are a military family who has been overseas for almost 5 years. I'm a mom of 3 and not really cut out for this type of life, but I take it one day at a time and I have not only survived, but seen things I never ever dreamed I would get to see. Prior to moving to Kuwait, we lived in Germany for three years and did some amazing traveling. If you would like to read about that experience, then go here: http://mjrowland.blogspot.com/.
As a girl growing up in AR, I never imagined that I would be living in the Middle East, but here I am! I have learned that living overseas is an entirely different beast than visiting for a few weeks. There are daily challenges that constantly arise in daily life. I've had the support of my family and friends and am thankful I can stay in touch through the internet! I have a lot of admiration for people who base their entire career abroad.
There are chain restaurants here (Chili's/Starbucks/ and Krispy Kreme that doesn't open until noon), crazy big malls (with workers trying to spray you with perfume every 10 feet), and lots of sand. I've seen the results of a lamb slaughtered just outside my door and wake up to prayer music from the Mosque on every corner about 4:00am every day. Prayer music breaks into the radio just after listening to Lady Gaga or the Black Eyed Peas. There is a month of Ramadan fasting where everything is closed and it's illegal to eat and drink in public during daylight hours. The driving is like nothing I've ever seen and kids roam the car without their seat belts while the driver is texting or on the phone. We spent last Christmas at the Camel Races.
Movie theaters have assigned seating (bachelor or family) or you can choose the VIP section with recliners and waiters. They edit any kissing or intimate scenes, but have no problem showing all types of violence. Magazines that are bought have ads blacked out or torn out and alcohol is illegal. Everyone has domestic help (yes, including me) and Kuwaiti's typically have 3 or more maids employed. There are street sweepers (Bangledash/Indians) to clean all the litter, baggers to load the groceries in the car, and every time you enter a restaurant you are greeted with "Hi, Sir/Ma'am" (Philipinos). Stray cats roam the streets and dogs are very rare to see.
My daughter is given a LOT of attention and that has probably been our biggest challenge. She has long blonde hair and she definitely stands out. She's had people stop and ask to take a picture with her and they all want to touch/kiss her. They don't bother my boys near as much. My boys seem to love it here - especially my oldest. He has had drivers pick him up to go to his friends houses and has been fairly accepted at school. He struggles some with a few of the local kids, but overall it's been a very positive experience for him. My 3rd grader takes Arabic in school and sometimes get frustrated with it. There is Little League Baseball and with my oldest we have traveled to Dubai, Qatar, and Poland. He's currently practicing for a trip to Saudi Arabia soon.
I miss the grass, I miss mexican food, and I miss Target. I miss not spending the holidays with my family and I miss a church atmosphere that we are accustomed to. I miss grocery shopping in America with products that I am used to and don't cost an absolute fortune. I miss sitting out in my yard and watching the kids on the trampoline. I miss the fall leaves and pumpkin patches and hay rides.... I miss watching football on the weekend and will not miss waking up (usually my husband does) at 3am to watch a game on TV or the Super Bowl. That being said, I should not complain as much as I do. We live in a super nice house and have a lot of support. We've made some great friends and I have gotten to travel and see the world! My kids lives are SO very different than how I grew up. I admire them more than anyone for the way they adapt, adjust and overcome.
Thanks for stopping by and spending a few minutes! You are welcome to browse my blog and read a few post. Here are a few of the more interesting ones. I blogged more when I first arrived and am trying to start back up.
http://mjlhj.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-at-camel-races.html
http://mjlhj.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html
http://mjlhj.blogspot.com/2010/12/grand-mosque.html
http://mjlhj.blogspot.com/2010/10/meet-kumari.html
http://mjlhj.blogspot.com/2010/10/dhow-cruise-and-kuwait-towers.html
This picture was taken the day after we first arrived and it remains to be my favorite to date....

6 comments:
Hey!
I'm stopping over from Kelly's Korner.
We also live in the Middle East. My youngest daughter has blonde hair and blue eyes. People freak out over her! Sometimes I think this must be what famous people feel like. They want their picture with her. They give her so much attention. Everyone we pass on the streets points and says something! HA!
Also, I totally hear you about the grass, Target, and Mexican food!
Blessings,
Elizabeth
We are a military family as well and I just want to say that I applaud you! While you say you aren't cut out for it, you're obviously doing it and haven't quit!!! That says more about you and your love for your husband and family than anything! You and your husband are giving your kids an opportunity of a lifetime. Keep up the great work!!!
Dropping by from Christchurch, New Zealand via Kelly's Korner!
I could not imagine living in the middle east either, although I suppose you get used to it eventually. :)
Thanks for writing this, it was interesting to read.
Came from Kellys Korner...
We are a family living in the Middle East as well....we moved to Saudi 5 months ago. I actually grew up overseas and thought I would be great at this and quickly realized that this is a whole lot harder than I ever thought. Completely related with everything you wrote!
Hello, we are also military family with three children. We had to move also. I have my husband and our kids but I can't help but feel so alone.
VERY interesting! I really enjoyed reading about your life!
Post a Comment