If you are curious as to why they are starting so late, it is because of Ramadan. From the earlier post I explained that Ramadan dates are based on the moon and change from year to year. This year, it just so happens to have fallen right when the beginning of school starts. They always have shortened school hours during Ramadan to help accommodate the Muslim students who have nightly festivities. It's evidently difficult to keep the kids separated, some allowed to eat lunch and some are not because of their religion. So, they chose to just wait until Ramadan ended to officially begin school. I anticipate the beginning of school being a little earlier next year, but I guess that remains to be seen.
It was very overwhelming to drive to where my kids are going to attend school. Well, a lot of things are overwhelming, but especially this. I had been told it is run down and not to be surprised when I visit the campus. Thankfully, I had been warned or I would have had a total meltdown I think. This is a private school, where they charge $12K - $15K a year based on the grade. Yes, your tax dollars are paying for my children to go to school. Thank you! They obviously do not spend the money on their facilities. It is old and not in the best condition. However, it has a fresh coat of paint and hard to tell in the pictures. The elementary school is in the best condition. There is no cafeteria in either school. The elementary children take their lunch box every single day and eat it in their classroom. The middle school has some food catered, but not much to choose from and the prices are high from what I hear. There are about 4 plastic picnic tables outside (in the 110+ heat) for them to eat their lunch. Nice, huh?
Gate to the School
Surrounding the School
We went back for orientation today and I honestly felt much better about it. The elementary school is fine and Hayden seems to have a nice spacious room for him to attend school. It looks like there are about 4 or 5 American looking names on the roster, and the other 18 all Arabic. It should prove to be an interesting year! The staff all seems very helpful and nice and we got to meet Hayden's teacher who has been in Kuwait for 5 years.
Landen will be attending middle school where he will be participating in block scheduling. I wasn't a happy camper when he had block scheduling in 5th grade in Germany, but now I am thankful that he already understands how it works. It can be quite confusing and I'm not a fan! It's harder to follow than a college schedule, in my opinion. That's a different subject though, so I'll get back on track. We think he will be able to take another year of band, but the band teacher is having visa issues and is stuck in the US right now. So, that could evidently change if the teacher doesn't arrive.The boys both seem to be upbeat about it, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. We've still got to have their TB test completed and a few other forms to finish, but they are allowed to go ahead and attend. They will wear uniforms, but I snapped a few pictures today of them in their regular clothes. Oh, the life my children are living is so different than what I ever dreamed or imagined for them. Yes, they seem to handle it all better than I do. Did I mention the bus will pick them up at 6:40am tomorrow morning? School starts at 7:10 am and ends at 2:00pm. It's going to take some getting used to in our house, me included.
View from the Middle School
6 comments:
hey! i can't wait to catch up on your adventures. y'all sure make our navy family look like we don't "go nowhere". =) i just wanted to get the new blog on my list and leave you a comment for a little encouragement! you are doing a fantastic job of navigating your fam through this craziness. i wish we could've gotten together whilst in the Fort. silly that i couldn't walk a couple of blocks to your parents' house. sorry.
i'm sure it isn't the life you imagined for them, but they are going to be so well rounded and able to take on the toughest challenges later in life because of it! they are learning so much more than the kids who do not have these experiences. you and matt are too. just think about how easy life will be and how much stronger you'll be when you guys move back to the states!
This may be a dumb question, but if the majority of the kids aren't American, is this an English-speaking school? How do you guys feel about the education they're getting overall? Are they "on track" for when they're back in the US schools??? This is all sooooo interesting to me but I could never do it myself!!
I love questions, Wendy! Let's see.... it is an English speaking school. The administration is mainly American, but they have dual principals - American and Arabic. The majority of staff are American, but they are from all around the world really. The Muslim students are required to take religion, and the Americans are required to take Arabic as a foreign language.
In Germany, we were in a DoDDs school which is basically an American school made up of all military children. You wouldn't even know you were in Germany because it was all americanized and on base. All children at the school were American as well as the teachers.
Here, it's a different story. I hear the school is more challenging than in the US. We'll see. I feel like my oldest is doing fine. He's pretty much an A/B student. However, I'm anticipating from what I hear it will be more of a B/C student here. We'll see. Hayden doesn't really get grades yet so it's hard to tell. I feel like he's right where he should be with his reading, math, etc though. Stay tuned!
We had the choice of going to a British school, but there grade levels are totally different than what we were used to. We decided it would be too difficult when we return to the US to decide where they fit in. Plus, we were afraid it might mess them up with their spelling (lots of words spelled differently) and US history.
I never dreamed among my wildest imagination I would be doing this either. Believe me, there are a lot of tears but I am somehow getting through it. 21 more months - not that I'm counting.
I have a brother who is in Iraq with the Louisiana National Guard so your comment about seeing the deployed soldiers hit home.
This experience is different from what you are used to but in the long run it is keeping your family close together and the children are learning so much from the difference in culture in all the cities they visit and live in.
You are a gifted writer and make your everyday life seem interesting and from the heart. This will be an experience that you will all look at one day and appreciate for all you have learned.
Hang in there and give our thanks to your husband for all he is doing to keep our country and those deployed safe.
Carol S.
Hey Jolee,
I finally found the blog and have laughed and cried while reading all the posts to catch up with you. I can hardly believe you are in Kuwait. It's mind boggling. I agree with one of the other comments above about how well rounded your children will be. Teaching your children about how to adapt to life's challenges is what you and Matt are doing. Hold you head up high and continue showing them that Christian spirit and attitude that gets through one day at a time. I love you girl and miss you so much. Keep the pictures and stories coming. I look forward to the day you return to the East Coast and we can catch up and spend some time together!
Love you!
Sandy
Post a Comment